Hi! I’m Katie.
Growing up, I greatly identified with Nancy Drew; from a young age, I’ve had an insatiable curiosity about the world around me and a strong interest in serving others. When I looked to combine these passions with my love of communication, one profession came to mind: journalism.
Attending ConFab 2015 as one of Facebook’s content strategy fellows solidified my interest in developing strategies so that media outlets can better serve audiences, which means creating the best user experience possible to maximize satisfaction with and loyalty to a brand’s content. I’m pursuing a master’s degree at the Missouri School of Journalism to further pursue these ideas, taking classes in management, business and strategy. I want to layer this knowledge onto my news editing background so I can help media companies innovate and be sustainable for many years to come.
Outside the classroom, I’ve used my editorial and business knowledge when working on projects such as:
- A strategy study for the American Press Institute about how voice of social media posts impacts engagement;
- The launch of a subscription model for 14ymedio, Cuba’s first independent media outlet;
- Recommendations to improve the Facebook content strategy of the Columbia Missourian;
- A strategic communication plan to attract and engage stakeholders for the Journalism Digital News Archive;
- And the creation of a LinkedIn content strategy for Global Journalist.
This summer, I’ll intern on Facebook’s content strategy team and help shape user experience on the platform.
More information about these projects and other journalistic and strategic endeavors can be found on this website. If you’re also interested in news media business and strategy, I’d love to chat.